Laptop Screen Not Working But External Monitor Does
An external monitor works but the laptop screen does not and it isn’t very pleasant while working on a project. If you cannot figure out why the screen isn’t working, it’s even more frustrating. The manufacturer of your laptop model will be able to easily fix the screen if you still have a warranty on it. How do you proceed in this case? There are several ways to fix the issue listed below.
Laptop Screen Not Working But External Monitor Does
You could have corrupted graphic driver files on your laptop, problems with the screen’s LCD unit and memory issues which could prevent your laptop screen from working. You should also check the laptop’s brightness and the battery’s secure placement in the compartment.
10 Best Fixes For Laptop Screen Not Working But External Monitor Does
Remove Battery And Power Supply
The battery may cause the blank screen of a plugged-in laptop if it has been unplugged after being plugged in. Reset the laptop by performing one of the following steps:
- The power cord needs to be disconnected.
- It needs to be unplugged.
- The power button can be pressed down for 30 seconds to remove extra static electricity.
- Then reconnect the power cord.
- Then turn the computer on.
The operating system should be displayed on the screen when the laptop starts. However, you can take these step if this doesn’t work:
- When the system is running, leave the battery plugged in and fully charged.
- If static electricity occurs, turn the power on for 30 seconds to disperse it.
- You can turn on your laptop once the power cord is connected.
Update Display Drivers
You can also update your laptop’s graphics display driver to fix a blank screen. The LCD unit will also be affected. We recommend downloading and installing the latest graphics driver files to fix this issue. These steps will help you update the graphics card driver files on a laptop:
- Then click the Device Manager option from the context menu.
- You can select Display Driver from the list of options.
- Select Update when you have right-clicked on HD graphics.
It should be possible to see your laptop screen once you have installed the new graphics drivers.
Perform A Hard Reset For Your Laptop
A hard reset will fix any problems with your laptop screen. You can drain your laptop battery if you hold the power button for longer than 20 seconds. A prolonged press of the power button can drain your laptop battery. You can now power up your system by plugging in the power source and reinstalling the battery. Your computer will now run normally.
Reinstall Windows Without Deleting Any Of Your Files
It will not affect your files, so you can reinstall the Windows OS if your laptop screen won’t come up. You can reinstall Windows without deleting your stored files if you follow these steps:
- Keeping the Windows key and the L key depressed will display the login menu.
- The power button in the lower right corner of the screen should be clicked while the Shift key is pressed.
- It will enable the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).
- Press Troubleshoot to restore your system.
- Make sure your files are not checked.
- You will be prompted to complete the reinstallation.
If your laptop screen is blank, reinstalling Windows should fix the problem.
Reseat Battery And Cables For Laptop Display Problem
In addition to checking for properly seated cables, another way to fix a blank laptop screen is to make sure the battery is fully inserted. The screen going blank when you turn on your laptop can be caused by a slight shift in the display cable modules.
These are the steps to follow when reseating a battery and cables:
- Your laptop should be shut down.
- Unplug it.
- Removing the battery will help.
- Clean the metal tray of the battery with a soft cloth.
- Insert the battery into its compartment.
- Remove and reinstall the cables into their ports after removing them.
- Test the screen by turning the laptop on.
It is also important to check your display cables after your system has fallen heavily. In the event of a fall affecting the display cables, the screen could become black due to damage to the cables. A worn-out or damaged display cable can also cause the screen not to display.
Restart Your Laptop
Especially for laptops running Windows 8 and above, this is the easiest way to fix a blank screen. You have to shut your laptop down and turn it back on again. It helps fix any issues associated with updating the operating system or graphic card driver files on your laptop and fixing the laptop screen. The simple method is often effective.
Connect Laptop With External Monitor To Test The Display
It is very easy to determine whether your laptop screen is malfunctioning by connecting it to an external monitor. This can be accomplished by using any available display cable such as VGA, HDMI or DVI. This method is useful when your laptop is running well but its display is blank. Using an external monitor is as simple as following these steps:
- Your laptop should be connected to an external display unit via a display cable.
- The external monitor will remain blank if F4 is pressed before it shows the Startup logo.
Your laptop screen is out of alignment if it displays perfectly on an external monitor. The LCD screen has been damaged or the graphic drivers have been corrupted.
Reseating The Memory Modules
There may not be anything displayed on a laptop screen when the memory modules malfunction. There may be a loose connection between the memory modules and the motherboard. It is possible to fix a blank laptop screen by removing and reinstalling memory modules. The steps to do so are as follows:
- Connect the power cable to your laptop, then turn it off.
- You will need to remove the laptop’s back cover to access the memory modules.
- Reinstall the memory modules firmly.
- Connect the power plug to the laptop and power it up to test your screen.
Reset Your Display Mode
The laptop screen may have gone black when you turned it on because you lowered the brightness levels. The screen can be completely blank in certain laptop brands due to brightness-level features. A simple reset of your laptop’s brightness levels may be all that is needed to restore it to its original state.
Contact Your Retailer If Your Laptop Is Under Warranty
If you try all of these ways to fix the screen but your laptop is still under warranty, you can have the manufacturer replace the screen for you. This can be a very inexpensive way to fix a screen on a laptop.
Once you return your laptop to the manufacturer, the screen will be replaced. You need to understand that you cannot tamper with the screen within the warranty period as this will invalidate the warranty. A competent computer technician will repair the screen rather than the manufacturer, saving you money.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Laptop Screen Black But My Second Monitor Works?
A burned LCD bulb, a corrupted graphic driver file, or a broken screen due to a hard fall could cause this issue.
Why My Laptop Is On But Not Displaying Anything On The Screen?
An old graphics driver file might be causing this issue, or the laptop screen may need to be replaced.
Why My Laptop Screen Is Not Working But The External Monitor Does Flickering?
It may be that the HDMI or VGA cable on your laptop is not properly connected to the monitor socket on the external monitor. You can stop the external monitor from flickering by removing and reinserting the display cable.
A laptop screen that doesn’t work but works fine with a monitor is usually caused by a damaged screen or by a virus that has infected the graphics driver’s files. It can be not easy to use a laptop without a functioning screen but the laptop works fine with another monitor.
We have shown you a few methods that you can try whenever you encounter a laptop screen that does not work, but an external monitor does. If none of the methods above work, a technician can repair your laptop screen.
- Can You Use Roku and Firestick on the Same TV
- Is a CLX Gaming PC worth it
- How To Use Laptop As Monitor For Xbox One
- Acer Aspire Touchpad Not Working Windows 10
- Lenovo Laptop Screen Black
- Is it OK to use a laptop while charging
- Is it Good To Charge Laptop While Gaming
Hi, I’m John Smith. A CEO & SEO Editor on TechConsumptions. I have a team of hardcore laptop experts that often write about laptop fixes, Unbox them and give the best recommendations for Laptops, Gaming Laptops. I wish If I had enough money, I will definitely buy every laptop